Serene & Scenic on Old Evergreen
Are you in for a relaxing ride? Then join me for this leisurely ride from Starbucks in Washoughal through Camas on into the River Maiden in Vancouver. It’s about a 26.5 mile round trip excursion along Old Evergreen Highway taking in wonderful views of the beautiful Columbia River. And it’s quiet because hardly anyone drives (or bikes) on Old Evergreen. What a pity? It’s such a wonderful ride with lots of Clark County history. Our pace is between 12-14 miles per hour. We start and end at the Starbucks in Washoughal and stop for a drink at the River Maiden, our half way point. Then it’s back to Washoughal. Of course, you can begin the trip with a brew at Starbucks because about 9 miles or so down the road on Old Evergreen we can stop at Columbia Springs for a restroom break. There are modern facilities, open to the public, at this beautiful environmental education and nature center, formerly a fish hatchery (still is to some degree) and built by the WPA during the Great Depression. Yes, I can provide some history along the way, too. There is a little hill work from Camas to Old Evergreen, a small one up Lieser Road, and a few minor ones on other parts of the trip, but nothing you can’t handle.
Please note that this is a group ride so all riders need to stay together. No one is left behind and no one goes ahead. Guaranteed. I also expect all riders to obey traffic laws and employ good biking practices. This includes stopping completely for red lights and at stop signs and signaling turns.
- Helmets are required on all VBC rides.
- All riders need to sign the waiver/sign in sheet at the beginning of the ride.
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to the ride to allow yourself time to prepare and sign in. Rides leave at the time stated in the ride description.
- Obey all traffic laws.
- Stay with group.
- Call or email me to let me know you’re coming (See contact info. below).
- Bring along a bottle (or two) of water to stay hydrated.
- Bring a tire pump, tools, and a spare tube.
- Bring some cash. We might stop for refreshments.
- Carry some sort of identification or create something with your name, address, an emergency contact, and medical problems or medications.
- Riders under the age of 18 need to be accompanied by a parent/guardian.
Cycling Things to Remember (These will be explained at the pre-ride safety clinic & demonstrated during the ride)
* Before Each Ride - ABC / Quick Check
* Be Visible / Predictable / Communicate
* Lane Choice & Lane Position are Key
* Scan / Make Independent Decisions
* Bike Safe / Have Fun
We ride unless it is 40 or below or raining. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (610) 442-1165 to confirm you'll ride with me.
Starbucks address in Washoughal is 291 C Street, (360) 835-5205. Take 2nd Street exit off of Route 14.
||March 1, 2013 @ 12:00 pm
||12 to 14 MPH - Social pace (a few stops)
Route Information#0 - *** A New Minor Hills Route
|This is used when submitting a ride with a route that does not appear in the standard route listings. Enter both your ride and route descriptions in the comments section when suggesting your ride. This new route can have a map/cue added into the route listings permanently, if desired.
., . .